4 Tips to Get A Silky-Smooth Waxing Session
September 30, 2019One of the reasons why waxing is so popular is that it offers unbeatable smoothness for much longer. Shaving doesn't stand a chance: smooth lasts for a day before being replaced by a prickly feel. If you made the change to waxing and you want to make sure you get a silky-smooth waxing session, you should mind these tips. They are related to the type of prep, the procedure itself, and the hair removal products you'll be using.
1. Buff Your SkinThere is no way you can get a silky-smooth waxing session if you skip exfoliation. Your esthetician will always advise you to exfoliate for a few days prior to the waxing appointment (except on the actual waxing day, when exfoliating might make your skin prone to irritation).
Exfoliation leading up to a wax works because it helps remove dead skin cells which accumulate on the top layer of skin. When those are taken away, newer skin is exposed, and cell turnover improves. The result is much softer and brighter skin.
Once you have had your appointment, resume exfoliating after a couple of days. Take your skin type into consideration and purchase a scrub with a creamier texture if you have dry skin, and a gel-like texture if your skin is oily or prone to breakouts.
2. Deal with IngrownsKeeping with the exfoliation advice, we can say that it really helps with ingrown hairs. In case you don't know, they are hairs that, once poked out, pierce on the skin and grow inside of it. The reason for it? Clogged pores/dead skin cell accumulation.
Shaving is more likely to cause ingrown hairs than waxing because it cuts the hair in a sharp angle, and curly-haired people are more prone. Areas that get lots of friction can also get ingrowns more easily. Even when they may be less possible with waxing, there is still some risk.
Before your next waxing appointment, inspect your skin to make sure you don't have any ingrowns (which you would probably notice because they itch, burn, and sometimes hurt). Ingrowns cause bumps, inflammation, and if left untreated or poorly treated, they can get infected and turn into something more serious like folliculitis, where the skin gets red, and you get a painful pustule with white/yellow discharge.
Sometimes ingrown hairs heal themselves. But if this is not the case and you want to treat an existing ingrown, there are some things you can do:
- Regular exfoliation clears old skin cells and could successfully liberate a trapped hair. You can use a scrub with salicylic acid or a special lotion for ingrown treatment. A steroid cream is another good way to protect the area where you get an ingrown hair.
- Put a warm compress to the area twice a day until the superficial skin softens and the hair starts showing more.
- Continue with the exfoliation routine.
- Don't pick on your ingrowns by roughly scraping on them or picking through the skin with tweezers! You could break capillaries, cause scratches and cuts, apart from the possible risk of infection.
3. Get a Deep Hydrating Body TreatmentBody spa treatments enhance your chances of getting a silky-smooth waxing session. If you have scheduled your waxing ahead of time, you'll be able to squeeze in a hydrating body treatment just in time before the hair removal. We recommend the paraffin treatment, which consists in the application of paraffin on any body part where you are suffering from dryness, roughness or scaliness due to lack of moisture. You can learn everything about this procedure in our previous blog post "What Is Paraffin Wax Treatment and What Is It Used for?"
Another wonderful option for deep body hydration is chocotherapy, a delightful treatment where you will get wrapped in a luxurious layer of cocoa-enriched body fango to get your skin detoxified and hydrated at the same time. Sounds delicious, right? Learn more about it here.
Getting hydrating spa body treatments is also OK a couple of days after your waxing session. You'll also get amazing results.
If you are not big on spa treatments or would rather save up and DIY your body hydration, then invest in a good hydrating cream infused with natural ingredients, put on your lotion while your skin is still slightly wet (so as to trap more moisture), and never skip lotion, no matter what! You can also blend your own favorite essential oil in your regular lotion for more moisturizing power.
4. Use Quality Hair Removal ProductsThe waxes you use in your session do make a difference. Low-quality waxes won't bear the same smooth results: they usually go brittle and crack, causing uneven hair removal, not to mention that they don't contain refined ingredients or extra natural additives.
High-quality waxes, however, have superior elasticity and workability, so you'll surely get smooth results with them. Consider hard waxes, which grab hair instead of the skin, providing a more comfortable waxing experience. When it comes to ingredients, titanium dioxide ensures that skin will look bright and even after waxing. Look for natural ingredients too, like argan oil (extra moisturizing), chocolate (antioxidant), strawberry (brightening), and activated charcoal (detoxifying). Your skin will thank you!
Now you know how to get a silky-smooth waxing session every time. Put yourself in the hands of a licensed esthetician and make sure they use professional products from a reputed brand like Beauty Image. Here, beauty professionals will find a wide array of body waxes and waxing accessories to provide a flawless treatment to happy clients. Call TOLL FREE 1-888-513-8815 or fill out the contact form below to get in touch with us. You can also subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest news about us right in your inbox.
If you found this article helpful then let us know in the comments section below. Likewise, feel free to share it using the share options below. Want us to cover another topic of your interest pertaining to hair removal products? If so, then like us and follow us on social media, and post to any of our social media profiles the topic you'd like us to discuss: Facebook @BeautyImageUSA, Twitter @BeautyImageUSA and Instagram @beautyimageusa