Soy Marvelous Jar
Gold Nacree Wax
Step by Step for Facial Waxing
August 09, 2019Facial waxing is a great way to have super smooth skin, which will be a perfect canvas for flawless makeup. This is a widely requested service but there are some technical tips and tricks that will make it a success for you and your clients too. Also, we will show you the best professional hair removal products for facial waxing. Let's dive in!
Why Recommend Facial WaxingThere are other hair removal options out there for facial hair, but none of them seems to win against waxing, which has clear advantages:
- It lasts from four to up to eight weeks, which is great to save time and effort in grooming. Besides, it won't be necessary to expose your skin to damage from the razor. Regular clients also report less or sparser regrowth as they wax more.
- It guarantees effective hair removal in places like the cheeks and forehead, where the razor would do a shabby job. The whole face can be evenly smoothed out, which will leave the skin looking brighter and younger.
- It removes hair completely, not like hair bleaching, which only makes it lighter but leaves it all over, looking like a golden fuzz that does not compliment the face, especially when the hair is dark.
- It is the most convenient option for women with a lot of facial hair. Some hormonal conditions like PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) can cause hirsutism (excessive and unwanted hair growth in women), which can be hard to keep up with – some women with this condition even find they have to shave every day but waxing makes hair removal more effective.
- It is an economical option when compared with laser or electrolysis, and with a little practice and the right products, it can be done at home.
What Does Facial Waxing Include?Facial waxing can involve two or more areas in the face. The most common areas to wax are the eyebrows, upper lip, and chin. However, a full-face waxing can include the nostrils, ears, cheeks, and even forehead. This treatment is best for people with lots of hair growth who want even results. Full face waxing evens out the complexion and provides a cleaner, sleeker look. The client can combine areas as they wish to get personalized service.
Facial waxing calls for experience and expertise in the technique, which is why professionals will always recommend doing this procedure at a spa rather than at home.
Facial Waxing by AreaEyebrows: eyebrow waxing is one of the most requested facial waxing treatments. Good eyebrow waxing starts with a good eyebrow shape, so it's crucial that you know eyebrow measurements perfectly (get some reference on our previous blog post "What Is the Perfect Eyebrow Shape to Enhance Your Face?"), and the rest of our blog posts related to eyebrows.
First, analyze and measure the eyebrows according to the standard measurements we mentioned in our previous blog post. Discuss the changes in shape you might be doing with your client before going through with the procedure.
Warm wax to around 43 degrees. Have your strips ready (cut about 1 cm wide) as well as scissors and tweezers to shape and remove any strays.
Cleanse the area with a pre-depilatory lotion – remember to always wear gloves! Use a small spatula for more comfortable application. Before you apply the wax, always test it at the back of your wrist to control the temperature. If you are new to eyebrow waxing, apply some petroleum jelly on the areas you want to remain untouched; this way the area will be protected from accidental hair removal.
Apply the wax in the direction of hair growth, and try to apply it in one go, as well as pressing the strip on the wax firmly. Then you're ready to rip the wax against the direction of hair growth (don't pull the strip upwards, this might cause bruising). Remember to keep the skin taut while you rip the strip off. Clean up any strays with tweezers and brush hairs upwards, then cut hairs which are too long to make the brow shape fuller.
Upper lip: this is another very commonly requested area to wax. First, check the direction of hair growth (usually downwards towards the corner of the mouth). Then, clean up the area with a pre-depilatory and apply some powder to avoid any moisture. Apply the wax in the direction of hair growth and remove it against in one quick motion, always making sure you keep the skin taut and apply pressure as you remove. Cleanse with a post-depilatory.
Chin: this is a very delicate area and sometimes it is problematic (when the client has a hormonal issue that causes excessive hair growth, for instance, hair growth is hard to keep up with). If this is the case, the client may be prone to ingrown hairs and hair growth might be coarse and abundant. It is a good idea to apply a warm wet towel to open up the pores and facilitate hair removal. Also, make sure your client has allowed enough time for hair to grow to the appropriate length (about ¼ of an inch), as hard as it may be to resist shaving or removing the hair at all. This is to make sure the wax can grab hair properly and removal is more effective.
In the chin area, it's very important to cleanse to avoid pimples, apply powder to fend off moisture, and hold skin taut at all times because it is quite delicate, and it can be painful to pull it. As usual, cleanse with a post-depilatory and if necessary, apply a soothing cool gel. Read more about chin waxing in our previous blog post "How to Get Rid of Coarse Chin Hair."
Cheeks: we all have peach fuzz, very fine hairs (usually colorless) covering the skin. removing them can make the complexion look smoother and brighter. Some people have darker peach fuzz and removing it makes a big difference. To perform this service, it's best to use hard wax. Apply in the direction of hair growth (usually downwards next to the hairline starting at the temples down to the cheekbone or the jawline), working one side of the face and then the other, but joining them so that the wax looks like a mask. Once the wax is hardened, you can start removing it from the sides. Apply post-depilatory lotion to soothe the skin and clean any wax residue.
Ears: this area can be hairy, especially in men. The outer rim of the ear or the area behind it may need to be cleaned up. Again, hard wax is most suitable for this job. The idea is to cover the outer ear in a thin layer of hard wax, waiting a few seconds until it hardens, and start removing it. This procedure is completely safe, and it doesn't imply any risk to your ears.
Nose: most likely the top of the nose can be waxed as a part of the cheek and forehead waxing, but the nostrils can also be waxed if some hairs protrude. Make sure your hard wax is at a suitable temperature. Take Q-tips and apply the wax on them. Wait a few seconds and insert them in each nostril applying gentle pressure; then pull from them at the same time with a steady motion. Untidy nose hairs can ruin anyone's appearance, so this type of waxing is sometimes dreaded but necessary.
Basic Guidelines for Facial WaxingThe basic preparation an esthetician should have for any facial waxing procedure is the same as any other procedure. however, it is even more important to make sure that the patient is not on an anti-acne treatment or skincare that involves AHAs, retinoids, glycolic acid, microdermabrasion, chemical peels or steroids since these ingredients predispose the skin to being over-exfoliated, which might result in grazing or burns.
Maintain strict hygiene practices: gloves at all times, no double-dipping, antiseptic pre-depilatory lotion before the procedure.
Special Tips for Facial Waxing
- Facial waxing procedures are often best done with hard wax, but you must be able to use properly soft wax and wax strips as well, so have them always in stock. If possible, choose a professional wax with titanium dioxide, which helps to relieve redness and irritation.
- For eyebrow waxing, use thin and flexible spatulas to give you precision.
- For lip waxing, you can use cotton buds, which allow you to roll them over the top of the lip and get a clean application on the edges.
- For male waxing, sometimes too much pre-depilatory lotion or oil will create a lipid barrier that can avoid the wax from adhering properly. apply the pre-depilatory product but blot the excess and apply hard wax on the desired area for maximum adherence and work quickly.
- If some wax is left in the nostril during a nostril wax, apply a bit more wax on the outside of the nostril. This will adhere to any other wax residue and facilitate removal in one swoop.
- Beards are better groomed by expert barbers, but a wax professional can clean the area above the cheekbones to achieve super clean lines.
Client Recommendations for Facial WaxingInform your clients of a few things they can do before and after their waxing appointment to improve their results.
- Consider only one face part at a time if you're prone to breakouts.
- Don't go through with your appointment if you have recently been exposed to the sun, your skin is flaking or irritated in any way. same goes for medication against acne.
- Allow the expert to do a patch test before the procedure to make sure your reaction to the wax will be normal.
- Schedule any big event for at least a couple of days after your waxing appointment so as to give the skin time to recover in case of an over-reaction.
- Do not schedule any other esthetic facial treatment on the same day of the waxing. This goes for peelings, exfoliation, microdermabrasion, and others.
- Do not get exposed to the sun, chlorinated or saltwater at least for a couple of days after the procedure.
- Try to steer clear of makeup on the day of the procedure or use non-comedogenic products (they won't clog pores)
Hair Removal Products for Facial Waxing
the best waxes for facial hair removal are soft or hard waxes with a creamy consistency because they are easy to handle and gentle on the skin. if possible, choose moisturizing ingredients and soothing agents like argan oil, titanium dioxide , and azulene, or even detoxifying ingredients such as activated charcoal.
Remember that you will have to keep several different types of wax in stock for your treatments to be perfect according to the client's specific characteristics. Pre-waxed strips with aloe vera, soft waxes, roll-ons with a facial head applicator and hard waxes are all useful for flawless treatments.
Similarly, keep a variety of pre-depilatory and post-depilatory lotions: oils, creams, sherbets, and gels are different textures for different skin types. Your client will be grateful that you kept in mind every detail to provide them with a perfect facial waxing and they'll want to come back for more.
So, there you have it: our best tips for facial waxing. We hope you have learned new things to improve your technique and offer the best treatments. When it comes to the best products, you can count on Beauty Image. we have a wide array of waxes and waxing accessories to fulfill your demands. Call us at TOLL FREE 888-513-8815 or fill out the contact form below to learn more about us. don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter!
If you found this article helpful then let us know in the comments section below. Likewise, feel free to share it using the share options below. Want us to cover another topic of your interest pertaining to hair removal products? If so, then like us and follow us on social media, and post to any of our social media profiles the topic you'd like us to discuss: Facebook @BeautyImageUSA, Twitter @BeautyImageUSA and Instagram @beautyimageusa