Do you want silky smooth legs? Razors are not the way to go, you should try waxing instead. When you wax, your legs will remain fuzz-free for much longer; no more prickly legs with ugly bumps. Once you decide to wax, you'll notice the difference and make up your mind for good to wax your legs instead of shaving. But wait, leg waxing does need some prepping if you want to make it come out perfe
Prepping for leg waxing is not only about grabbing props and professional hard or soft body waxes. Keeping up a permanent skin care routine is equally as important to get flawless leg waxing results. Here's how to get your leg waxing session to be a success.
Leg Waxing Prepping Daily Routine
- Exfoliate your legs regularly leading up to your leg waxing. Exfoliation removes dead skin and lifts any trapped hairs, so it can help get rid of ingrown hairs and those tiny dark bumps on your legs before waxing (as well as reduce the risk for them afterward). However, you should exfoliate at the right times: twice or three times a week is fine and will keep your skin clean and bright, but never do it right before waxing since it could over-irritate the skin. The best moment to exfoliate is two to three days before waxing.
- When it comes to the exfoliating scrub you should use, choose one with small grains and moisturizing ingredients, and rub gently in circular motions. Coarse grains and strong rubbing will irritate your skin. A loofah, washcloth or wash mitten plus a rich and moisturizing body wash are good options too.
- Moisturize on a regular basis. Using a good moisturizer daily will guarantee that your skin is healthy, remember that dry skin can get damaged more easily, not to mention that it doesn't look glowing and silky. But don't use lotion right before waxing; your skin needs to be completely clean.
Leg Waxing Prepping Right Before the Procedure
- Schedule your leg waxing in advance. "Anytime" is not the right time for leg waxing. Avoid these times:
- A special occasion: if a problem comes up and your skin takes longer to recover from the waxing session, you won't be able to flaunt flawless results. Wax at least four days prior to a big event to ensure you'll be in top shape.
Sun exposure: do not wax if you have scheduled any event that involves prolonged sun exposure, even if you wear sunscreen. Sun exposure prior to waxes increases the risk for irritation and skin ripping.
Your period: skin is more sensitive on the days around your period, so the waxing process might turn out to feel a lot more painful. Choose the few days after your period instead.
Stressful days: anxiety and stress will make your reaction to pain even more acute, so try to be relaxed on your leg waxing day.
- Talk to a trusted esthetician before waxing. Or even better, leave yourself in the hands of a professional, especially if it's your first time getting waxed. Ideally, you should allow a pro to wax your legs, but if you choose to go at it alone, you'll do great taking their advice.
- Inspect your legs for irregularities. Sometimes you can have a nick, scratch, bump or bruise you were not aware of. If you find it, treat it until it's healed, then you'll be good to go through with waxing. Your skin should be as healthy as possible before leg waxing.
- Make sure your hair is the right length. Hair that is shorter than a ¼ inch will be more difficult to wax since the wax won't grab it properly to pull it out, bearing a less than perfect waxing result. Wait for hair to grow out for 3-6 weeks (depending on your hair growth cycle) so that your results look better and last for longer.
- Take a warm shower. Whether you have booked an appointment, or you plan to do DIY waxing, a warm shower will open up your pores to facilitate hair removal. Just make sure the water is warm – not hot – so that your skin does not get overly dry.
- Cover up any skin irregularities. You might accidentally rip off any mole or skin tag during the waxing procedure. It is a good idea to cover them up with a small band-aid to protect your skin.
- Choose the right wax. For DIY leg waxing, you can start with pre-waxed strips. They are very easy to use; just warm them up a bit between your palms, apply them in the direction of hair growth, and rip them against the direction of growth. If you have a bit more expertise and the correct props (like a wax warmer, spatulas, muslin strips), you can get soft waxes or hard waxes.
- Apply the right leg waxing techniques. For soft or hard wax, apply pre-depilatory lotion to cleanse and soothe the area. Once it's dry, apply thin layers of wax on medium-sized areas, hold the skin taut, then rip them off in one swift motion. Press down on the skin for a moment right after ripping off the hair; this will help soothe the sensation of pain. Wrap up the procedure with a post-depilatory lotion.
- Pamper your skin. Forget about tight bottoms right after waxing and for at least 24 hours. Wear loose and comfortable clothes to allow your skin to breathe and recover faster. Resume your moisturizing and exfoliating routine but wait it out for a few hours before applying moisturizer and at least a couple of days for body scrub. Your freshly waxed legs need to rest from any irritation.
- Take care of your leg waxing results. Do not neglect your leg waxing routine. Wax religiously every 4 to 6 weeks to ensure the hair follicle will get weaker, producing thinner and sparser hair progressively. Don't even think of retouching your waxed legs with a razor! If you choose waxing as your hair removal, you need to stay committed.
Leg waxing is easier than you think and will give you more benefits than many other hair removal methods. We hope these prep tips will help you get flawlessly waxed legs in no time. Professional estheticians can get high-quality waxes and waxing accessories with Beauty Image USA with a call at TOLL FREE 888-513-8815 or by filling out the contact form on this website. Don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter to get our information right at your inbox.
If you found this article helpful then let us know in the comments section below. Likewise, feel free to share it using the share options below. Want us to cover another topic of your interest pertaining to hair removal products? If so, then like us and follow us on social media, and post to any of our social media profiles the topic you'd like us to discuss: Facebook @BeautyImageUSA, Twitter @BeautyImageUSA and Instagram @beautyimageusa