Dry skin can be an individual predisposition, or it can be the result of poor care: harsh cosmetics, no moisturizers, hot water when bathing or showering, and a poor, unbalanced diet can dry out otherwise hydrated skin. Other factors such as cold weather, sun exposure, medical conditions and hair removal methods can contribute to skin dryness as well. For most people, even hair removal products might dry the skin (unless they are made with fine ingredients). If you let your skin reach high levels of dryness, it will look dull, flaky, cracked, and aged, not to mention it might peel, itch, and break. Nobody wants that!
Nowadays, more and more people are using waxing as their preferred method for hair removal but doing it constantly might strip the skin's natural oils if you don't keep a serious moisturizing routine. From the moments leading up to waxing, to every day in between appointments, always keep in mind that moisturized skin is synonymous with healthy skin. Avoid dried out skin after waxing with the following tips!
- 1. Make sure you use pre- and post-depilatories. Prepping skin before and after a wax ensures that it stays clean, healthy and hydrated, in addition to facilitating the removal procedure. To prepare your skin, apply a pre-waxing care product, which will eliminate residue from sweat, deodorant, and other agents that your skin may be exposed to, while protecting and nourishing the skin before depilation. Pre-depilatories reduce the harsh effects of waxing such as redness and infected pores. Some of these products can even help with skin sensitivity problems. Post-depilatories are equally important to moisturize and comfort the skin. Try them in different textures like cream, tonic and sherbet.
- Antioxidants, which help prevent the degenerative effects of sun exposure and reduce skin inflammation;
- Emollients, which help avoid the loss of water while they smooth and soften skin;
- Skin-repairing ingredients, such as hyaluronic acid, which help keep the skin's barriers condition, and in turn, make the skin look rejuvenated.
2. Choose the right lotion for your skin type. If you have naturally dry skin, you should look for lotions that contain certain ingredients that are known for helping with dry skin. These ingredients include:
Likewise, people with dry skin should choose the thicker, richer types of moisturizers, like body butters, oils, and creams since their action lasts longer than light lotions or sprays. It's also important to look out for natural ingredients with powerful moisturizing action. Aloe, argan, olive, coconut and almond oil, honey, oat and milk are present in many lotions for dry skin. Slather moisturizer on the waxed area one day after your waxing appointment (to give your pores time to close) and then continue with a moisturizing routine religiously. If you are wondering whether to put on lotion before you wax, you have to know that it'll come off with the pre-depilatory product they will apply to clean your skin. Instead you should moisturize as part of your everyday care ritual on the days leading up to the wax. To learn more about this topic, read our blog post "The Right Wax for Each Skin Type."
- 3. Turn your bathing routine into a moisturizing treatment. You shouldn't set your bath temperature too hot; remember that hot water breaks down your lipid barrier. For a relaxing and moisturizing bath, use warm water and add moisturizing ingredients like almond, coconut oil, or olive oil, or a cup of coconut milk, oats, and a pinch of baking soda. Don't use soap bars or wash gels with harsh smells and colorants, go natural and use a neutral bar or creamy gel instead. Exfoliation is another way to make skin supple and it can help with a better absorption of the moisturizing agents, just make sure they have a creamy base and are alcohol-free. Also, don't exfoliate too often if you have overly dry skin since it will tend to irritate more.
4. Don't rub your body dry. When drying after a shower or bath, instead of rubbing your body with a terry cloth towel, you should use a cotton towel and dry your skin by gently patting it. By the way, once you're done patting your skin and it's still a little wet, is the perfect moment to apply moisturizer. The moisture from water will trap the hydrating properties of the lotion and lock them into the skin.
5. You should avoid using alcohol-based products, astringents, and absorbent masks as these types of products tend to make the skin dryer.
6. Watch your water intake and watch your diet. Your skin needs plenty of water to look healthy because hydrated cells produce more collagen, which keeps skin soft and plump. You should drink at least 1.5 liters of water per day – more if you live in a warm place – and you should always wear sunscreen
There are certain foods that will help you get healthier skin. For example, increasing the amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids you consume will reduce your body's inflammation and in turn, your skin's redness and inflammation. Fish and walnuts are a good source of Omega-3s. Other healthy fats such as those found in avocados, nuts, and olive and coconut oil will make your skin suppler.
These pointers should make up a consistent skin care routine to maintain dryness at bay. Skin does not stay hydrated all by itself, so don't let down your guard with moisturization at any age, much less after a waxing procedure. That way you will be able to flaunt flawless skin for many years. If your dry skin problem is more severe, and simple changes in your beauty routine or your diet don't improve it, you should probably see a dermatologist as there may be an underlying cause to it.
Keeping skin moisturized while you wax is easier when you use professional waxes. Beauty Image manufactures the best waxes with fine ingredients that nourish skin while leaving it fuzz-free. To learn more about our wide range of moisturizing waxes, get in touch with us! You can call TOLL FREE 888-513-8815 or fill out the contact form below. Don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter if you want the latest news about us right in your inbox.
If you found this article helpful then let us know in the comments section below. Likewise, feel free to share it using the share options below. Want us to cover another topic of your interest pertaining to hair removal products? If so, then like us and follow us on social media, and post to any of our social media profiles the topic you'd like us to discuss: Facebook @BeautyImageUSA, Twitter @BeautyImageUSA and Instagram @beautyimageus