6 Tips to Avoid Dry Skin after a Waxing Treatment
May 06, 2016The skin is the largest organ of our body, a protective layer that keeps the rest of our organs protected from our surroundings. It acts as a communication system with the environment – as such, we need to take good care of it. Dry skin is a fairly common problem, the causes of which can vary, but the most common are: the use of harsh cosmetics, using extremely hot water when bathing or showering, a poor, unbalanced diet, environmental factors such as cold weather or sun exposure, and medical conditions such as dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, or seborrhea. Dry skin can also be a complication from other chronic illnesses such as diabetes. When dry skin is not treated, it can cause other ailments, such as flaking skin, redness, itching, and cracked skin. It can also accelerate the appearance of the signs of aging.
Nowadays, more and more people are using waxing as their preferred method for hair removal, but there are a number of important steps that need to be followed so your skin doesn't suffer the effects of heat and pulling. One important thing to keep in mind is that moisturized skin is synonymous with healthy skin, and one of the most important things to ensure a beautiful, effective waxing is precisely that: having healthy skin. To prepare your skin for this procedure, it is necessary to apply a pre-waxing care product, which will eliminate residue from sweat, deodorant, and other things that your skin may be exposed to, while protecting the skin before depilation. Pre-waxing care reduces the harsh effects of waxing, such as redness and infected pores. Some of these products even help with skin sensitivity problems. After you've undergone waxing, a post-waxing care product is necessary to moisturize and comfort the skin. Here are a few more tips to keep your skin looking silky and smooth after a waxing treatment and in between sessions.
1. Choose the right lotion for your skin type. If you have naturally dry skin, you should look for lotions that contain certain ingredients that are known for helping with dry skin. These ingredients include:
- Antioxidants, which help prevent the degenerative effects of sun exposure and reduce skin's inflammation;
- Emollients, which help avoid the loss of water while having a smoothing and softening effect on the skin;
- Skin-repairing ingredients, such as hyaluronic acid, which help keep the skin's barriers condition, and in turn, make the skin look smooth.
2. Turn your bathing routine into a moisturizing treatment. You shouldn't set your bath temperature too hot, and you should add a few ingredients to make the most of your relaxing bathing routine. Just a few drops of almond, coconut oil, or olive oil, or a cup of coconut milk, oats, and baking soda will leave your skin moisturized and feeling smooth.
3. Don't rub your body dry. When drying after a shower or bath, instead of rubbing your body with a towel, you should use a soft towel and dry your skin by gently patting it.
4. You should avoid using alcohol-based products, astringents, and super-absorbent masks as these types of products tend to make the skin dryer.
5. Watch your water intake. You should drink at least 1.5 liters of water per day – more if you live in a warm place – and you should always wear sun screen.
6. Add a little something to your diet. There are certain foods that will help you get healthier skin. For example, increasing the amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids you consume will reduce your body's inflammation and in turn, your skin's redness and inflammation. Fish and walnuts are a good source of Omega-3s. Consuming healthy fats such as those found in avocados, nuts, and olive and coconut oil will make your skin suppler.
These are only a few tips that, alone or combined, can help you keep your skin looking and feeling silky smooth. If your problem is more severe, and simple changes in your beauty routine or your diet don't improve it, you should probably see a dermatologist as there may be another underlying cause to it.
For more tips on pre-waxing care, waxing treatments, and beauty in general, follow us on Instagram @beautyimageusa or visit and like our Facebook page BeautyImageUSA. If you are a beauty professional or salon owner, you can contact us via TOLL FREE 1-888-513-8815 or click here to contact us and one of our representatives will be happy to talk to you.